On Monday our group made butterfly gardens for CL, this process included planning and building the gardens ourselves. We started out with a small area near the CL tables which was divided into three sections. Our group was divided into three groups A, B and C. Each group got one of the three sections of the space.
The first thing we did in the morning after we went to the room for each CL project was get divided into groups A, B and C by Ms. Lindeman. Then we drew cards for which plot of land we were.
Then we went to the Cl tables and started our planning phase after we took measurements of the sections. Each section was about 4ft by 12ft. This gave us approximately 48 square feet to work with, we also had to build walls around each plot with bricks and we had to calculate how many bricks we would need. Team A needed 84 bricks, team B needed 80 bricks and team C needed 48 bricks.
Another thing we needed to plan was which plants to plant and where in the garden. The ration of plants was 20% host plants for the butterflies to lay their eggs, and 80% nectar plants for the butterflies to feed from. We also had to create two areas of pebbles that would remain damp for butterflies to drink water from. Each team came up with a different plant that fulfilled those requirements. Another thing we had to do was make it aesthetically pleasing.
It would take a long time for all 200 bricks to be moved from the soccer field to the CL tables, so we were given the choice to break for recess or start building with the bricks which were there. All of us volunteered to help bring the brick to the area.
We devised a system where everyone would bring the bricks up the stairs and load them onto a cart which we found lying around. Them Ashrit and I would pull it all the way to the CL table, unload it and bring it back. In the mean time, the others would continue to bring the bricks up the stairs. It was impossible to pull the cart up the stairs with bricks in it so we had to take a longer route to find a ramp and pull it up from there.
We continues this process three times and brought about 100 bricks up which was half of the total. On the third round we brought two bags of soil which were significantly heavier than the bricks. In the end we were all very tired but we had the bricks in place early which helped us get the job done in time.
After this we started building our wall with the bricks which was really tiring especially after bringing the bricks as well, but we finished. Then we started the process of placing soil to make the raised beds for the plants.
First thing we did was drop a large amount of red soil in the beds and spread it out. Them we made mounds of compost where we would place the plants. We would plant them in these mounds and place more red soil over it. This process required a lot of digging and one of the teams accidentally ran into (and cracked) a pipe. This delayed their work and instead they helped the other teams.
We broke for lunch and a few people stayed behind to help. When we came back afterwards. The team that cracked the pipe was behind on work so the other teams helped them catch up. The last thing we did was lay a large layer of black soil on the bed and water it in large amounts. When we were done all of us were very tired, I could hardly stand. We went up to the room to start journaling.
The cool morning air that had been trapped in the room the whole day felt really nice and this was also the time we did the interviews and other such work which was remaining. Over all this was a really fun day and I hope to see the garden after a few months.