Today, we went to a professional recording studio. We went there with Ms. Lakshmi and met Mr. Boniface over there because it was his studio. We learnt about all the things we’d need to know which included not touching anything and respecting the area. In two groups, he took us into his recording studio, which was soundproof. We learnt about how they made a regular bedroom a soundproof recording studio. It was 10 inches thick, and was extremely pretty. Here are some other things we learned:
- Respecting work space & equipment
- The purpose of soundproofing & the materials commonly used
- The difference between Studio Monitors & Regular Home Speakers
- The purpose of a high quality external sound card
- Professional recording softwares (Logic pro X 10:2:2)
- Measurement of sound & frequency
- VSTs (Virtual Studio Technology)
- Creating drum patterns or loops on a recording software
- Got acquainted to the elements of song writing
- Worked on creating/composing a song
Mr. Boniface has a liking for bikes and skulls, as they decorated just about everything in that specific room. He asked us to choose style, tempo, and the title for a song. After that, we were given 20 minutes to write lyrics to that.
The title of our song was “Hiccups in the Studio” or “H.I.T.S” for short. After that Mr. Boniface set up mikes in the studio, while we were rehearsing our lyrics. When we came out, he told us that there was something wrong and we wouldn’t be able to use the mikes. We read the lyrics out to him, but he didn’t exactly choose one for us to use. We had too little time, so we couldn’t record. And the mike software was broken. So most of us came back to the studio on Saturday to record our original song.
I think the day went relatively well, except that I was the only 7th grade girl. I learnt that being the only girl in your grade for projects isn’t really fun. I got bored a lot and felt left out because I was the only girl in my grade.
"Hiccups in the Studio"